Carbon Monoxide Can Be Deadly!

During colder weather, more people are turning to alternative heat sources. Baggett Heating & Cooling wants to warn you about the dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

According to the CDC, carbon monoxide, or “CO” is an odorless, colorless gas that can kill you.

CO is found in fumes produced any time you burn fuel in cars or trucks, small engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges, or furnaces. CO can build up indoors and poison people and animals who breathe it.

The symptoms of CO poisoning are:

  • Headache
  • Weakness
  • Upset stomach
  • Vomiting
  • Chest pain
  • Confusion

CO symptoms are often described as “flu-like”. If you breathe in a lot of CO it can make you pass out or kill you. People who are sleeping or drunk can die from CO poisoning before they have symptoms.

How can you prevent CO poisoning in your home?

  • Install a battery-operated CO detector in your home.
  • Have your heating system serviced by a qualified technician every year.
  • Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters indoors.
  • Make sure your gas appliances are vented properly.
  • Have your chimney checked or cleaned every year.
  • Never patch a vent pipe with tape or something else.
  • Never use a gas range or oven for heating
  • Never burn charcoal indoors.
  • Never use a generator inside your home, basement or garage.
  • Only use a generator outdoors and far from windows, doors, and vents.

Baggett Heating and Cooling recommends the “low level” Carbon Monoxide Health Monitor, mode 2016. Considered by many one of the industries best.

We also recommend, as stated above, that you call us for an annual inspection of your HVAC system for possible leaks.

Baggett Heating & Cooling has been around for over 35 years. Give Baggett Heating and Cooling a call for a check up.

Contact Baggett Heating and Cooling today. You can call or text us at (931) 645-2859 or email us at

For more information about carbon monoxide, visit Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.