Summer weather has arrived in Clarksville, TN. With temps forecasted in the upper 90’s, it seems appropriate to share how ACs are designed to work.
When designing an air conditioner, contractors use design conditions. Those conditions for Clarksville, TN are to maintain 75° indoors when it’s 93° outdoors.
When the temperatures are hot, but below 93° many air conditioners are able to cool a home below 75° however, it’s unlikely for most to be able to perform better than design conditions when it’s over 93°.
During these days most systems will run a lot or they may even seem to run all day long which is likely a normal operation. Here are some tips for this time and what to potentially expect:
- Expect long run times.
- Change the filter. Longer run times will cause the filter to get dirty faster and a clean filter will help your system to run optimally.
- If the system is not able to maintain a temperature less than 75°, don’t set it lower than that. It will not make it perform better and will add stress to the system.
- Consider raising the thermostat to lessen the stress on the system. 75° or even 77° feels much better than 96°!
- Close curtains and blinds to help lessen the heat load in the house.
- Make sure all interior doors are open and all registers and returns are unobstructed.
- Ceiling fans will help air circulation and make humans feel cooler, so now is a great time to use them.
- Drink lots of water to stay hydrated.
- If your ac unit can maintain 75° or better, that’s awesome!
Baggett Heating & Cooling has been serving the Clarksville/Montgomery County area for over 40 years. Contact us by phone, text, or email.