Baggett Heating and Cooling has some tips for when it comes time to replace your heating and cooling system as well as what you should expect
If you’re planning on an HVAC replacement, here are a few things to consider before you do.
- Estimate your direct and indirect HVAC installation costs
- Decide on replacement or repair
- Calculate the correct system size
- Terms to know
- The process
Estimate your installation costs
- Besides the initial cost of the HVAC unit, your installation costs might include:
- Repairing, sealing, or replacing ductwork
- Upgrading home insulation
- Resealing windows and doors
- Repairing breaches in exterior walls where conditioned air might escape
Replace or repair?
- We recommend replacing if:
- The unit is over 10 years old
- If repairs have added up or become too frequent
- If the equipment uses the obsolete R22 refrigerant
- If your utility bills continue to go up
- Purchasing a unit that is too large or too small for the needs of your home is not energy efficient.
- In the Clarksville, TN area we find systems are oversized more often than undersized.
- There are many “rules of thumb” available when it comes to tons of AC per square foot, but we encourage you to avoid those, they are inaccurate and are often misleading
- Of course, our staff at Baggett Heating and Cooling will help you determine what size will work best for your space, by providing a sizing calculation with every installation
Terms to know
- HSPF – Heating Season Performance Factor
- This rating determines the efficiency of an electric heat pump. The current standard is a minimum rating of 7.7.
- SEER – Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio
- This rating notes the efficiency of the cooling system. The current rating is set at a minimum of no less than a 14 for all new systems in the southeastern region.
If you’re ready to see if your HVAC needs repair or replacing, call us at Baggett Heating and Cooling.
Baggett recommends having regular maintenance performed on your HVAC system. Learn more about regular maintenance and join Baggett’s Preferred Customer Maintenance Club.
Baggett Heating & Cooling has been serving the Clarksville/Montgomery County area for over 40 years. Contact us today!