Carbon Monoxide and What You NEED to Know About It

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas that can cause illness and even death. CO is a byproduct of burning fuel and that is what household heating systems do to keep us warm.

  • Symptoms. – Headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. High levels of CO inhalation can cause loss of consciousness and death. Unless suspected, CO poisoning can be difficult to diagnose because the symptoms mimic other illnesses. People who are sleeping or intoxicated can die from CO poisoning before ever experiencing symptoms.
  • Diluted Symptoms. – If a CO leak is occurring at home, leaving during the day dilutes the CO in the body, meaning a harmful leak can be occurring and you are not necessarily sensing its effects.
  • Who is at risk? – Everyone! However, unborn babies, infants, and people with chronic heart disease, anemia, or respiratory problems are more susceptible.
  • Prevention –When having gas burning appliances installed, use professionals who know proper installation techniques. Also, have all gas burning appliances properly maintained by a professional annually.
  • Detection – If you have a gas burning appliance and/or an attached garage you should have at least one CO detector.BEWARE, not all detectors are the same. We recommend a low level CO detector which will alert you to levels that make you sick, not simply the levels that can kill. CO detectors do expire. If the age of a detector is unknown, it may be time to buy a new one. Finally, if the detector has an LED light, the fact that it is lit does NOT mean the sensor is detecting.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is something we can prevent and detect; however, it must be respected because it is extremely dangerous. Please click on this link for more information And as always please call us for any questions about how we can help you prevent and detect carbon monoxide poisoning and death.