Have you noticed higher energy bills, or is your living space not as cool or warm as you would like it? Baggett Heating and Cooling explains how your duct system can be leading to HVAC problems and why fall is the perfect time to address any concerns before winter
Duct systems seem to be out of sight, out of mind, but the reality is your duct system is key to your HVAC efficiency. If you have noticed that your indoor air seems musty and not as fresh or if you’ve seen a spike in your energy bill or have heard weird banging or whistling noises, it’s time to call Baggett to inspect your duct system.
What are some common problems caused by duct systems?
Poor Air Quality
- If your ducts are leaking, a portion of the conditioned air won’t make it to where you’re hoping it will go, whether that’s to your bedroom or home office.
- You will notice the air is stuffy or smells musty because not enough air is circulating.
- Leaky ducts can clog your air filters at a higher rate, causing you to change them out more often.
- If you don’t change out your air filters when they’re filthy, you’ll have poor air quality leading to a higher electric bill since your system has to work harder to push out air through the debris in the filter.
- One way to tell if you have air quality issues is by dusting.
- When you turn on your HVAC system with leaks or holes in it, the duct system sucks up dust, dirt, etc., which will get blown out of the vents in your home, causing it to look like you haven’t cleaned. Dust can certainly come from other places, but duct leaks is one of them.
Higher Energy Bills
- If you have leaks or holes in your duct system, air leaks out, causing your air conditioner or furnace to cool or heat longer to meet your thermostat setting.
- Unnecessary run time = higher energy bills.
Cold or Hot Spots
- Have you noticed one room feels colder or warmer than another?
- A hole in your duct system can cause the air to leak out of that room, so it’s not getting as much heat or airflow.
Have you noticed any of these signs? While these problems aren’t any reason to panic, we recommend you give us a call to inspect your ducts before issues get worse.
Baggett recommends having regular maintenance performed on your HVAC system because it’s best for your equipment but also because it protects warranty coverage as well. Learn more about routine maintenance and join Baggett’s Preferred Customer Maintenance Club.
Baggett Heating & Cooling has been serving the Clarksville/Montgomery County area for over 40 years. Contact us by phone, text, or email.