When you want to create the perfect comfortable indoor environment, you need to choose the right residential heating and cooling system. However, with so many to choose from, it can be a hard decision. Baggett Heating and Cooling is committed to assisting our clients in choosing the optimal system for their home. Let’s explore your system options that will give you the results you need for your home.
Types of Systems
When you are looking for a quality residential heating and cooling system, there are two main designs to choose from: a split system or a package system. A split system is an outdoor and indoor system (hence the ‘split’) connected by a copper refrigerant line. The outdoor system is placed on the rear or side of your home and contains all the main components. The indoor section is placed in the garage or basement and can be paired with a gas furnace. A package system is a self-contained system that has all the components “packaged” into one piece of equipment which is located outside your home. You will choose one over the other depending on the design of your home.
When you are choosing a heating and cooling system, you want it to be energy efficient. To check the energy efficiency of your system, you need to look at the rating. All heating and cooling systems have efficiency ratings defined and measured by the Air Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration Institute (ARI) or the United States Department of Energy (DOE). The ratings include:
- SEER — Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) measures how much energy is used to cool the air and provides consumers a standard way to compare different systems. The higher the SEER number, the higher the efficiency. Since 2015, the minimum SEER rating is 14. Our product line meets the minimum and can go as high as 23 with an air-to-air system.
- EER — Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER) is taken at a specific time under specific conditions. It applies to both air conditioners and heat pumps.
- HSPF — Heating Seasonal Performance Factor (HSPF) indicates the efficiency of the heating cycle of a heat pump. The higher the HSPF rating, the more efficient the heat pump.
- AFUE — Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) is a percentage measure of the efficiency of a furnace. It accounts for cyclic on/off operation and seasonal variations. A furnace rated as 90% converts 90% of its fuel into heat with the remaining 10% released into the flue. The minimum AFUE furnace is 80%, and our most efficient is a 95% two-stage furnace.
For more information about choosing a heating and cooling system, contact Baggett Heating and Cooling today. Call [phone] to speak to one of our experts!